1. Increase our own knowledge. We asked our followers what books and film/TV shows—whether giving a pro-life or pro-choice perspective—have informed their perspectives of the abortion debate. Below are partial lists, but you can read all of the book suggestions here and film/TV suggestions here.
- Abortion Rites: A Social History of Abortion in America - Marvin Olasky
- Bearing Right - Will Saletan
- Defenders of the Unborn: The Pro-Life Movement before Roe v. Wade - Daniel Williams
- The Ethics of Abortion - Christopher Kaczor
- Our Bodies, Our Souls - Naomi Wolf
- Roe v. Wade - text of the Court's decision
- Stuck: A Complete Guide To Answering Questions About Abortion - Justina van Manen
- The Unaborted Socrates - Peter Kreeft
- The Walls Are Talking - Abby Johnson
- Why Pro-Life - Randy Alcorn
- Call the Midwife
- The Giver
- October Baby
- A Quiet Place
- The Silent Scream
(You might get more ideas from the many pro-life movie quotes we've collected.)
2. Donate to organizations on the front lines. We asked our followers which organizations can directly help pregnant and newly parenting people. If you prefer to go local, quick online searching should turn up pregnancy resource centers in your area. Meanwhile below is a partial list of follower suggestions, and here are the full responses. (Note: as of 3/27/20 all of the following orgs were still open.)
- Abide Women's Health Services (Texas) — They have a COVID-19-based Amazon wish list.
- Ava Care of Harrisonburg (Virginia)
- The Crossing of Manitowoc County (Wisconsin)
- Diaper Bank of the Ozarks (Missouri)
- Expect Hope (New York City)
- Good Counsel Homes (New Jersey)
- The Life House (Nebraska)
- Safe Families for Children (multiple locations)
- Sisters of Life (New York City) — Amazon baby registry
3. Do online work. We asked our followers for other ways to help while sheltering in place. Read the full responses here but below are some ideas:
- Promote pro-life content on social media (like, comment, and share)
- Write a guest blog post for Secular Pro-Life!
- Educate yourself on local resources for mothers (assistance with rent or utilities, food, diapers, access to health care and education, etc.) Keep a list for reference.
- Contact your favorite pro-life orgs and ask them if they have any online volunteer opportunities. You never know who needs a translator, editor, web designer, graphic artist, database manager, etc.
How Disabled People (And Others) Can Be Activists From Home - Rehumanize International
The Top 8 Pro-Life Things To Do During Coronavirus - Students for Life of America